Sunday, May 10, 2009

Bismarck/Mandan flood research.

Well as I was doing some digging into the flooding of Bismark I able to locate some pictures of the flooding that was happening around Bismarck/Mandan and around the western areas of the state. I also found the Bismarck website that had press releases during the time of the flooding. For people that have not heard much about the Bismarck/Mandan flooding. Bismarck was hit hardest of the two cities, with one of the more wealthy part of the city underwater. The area is called Fox Island it is on the south west side of Bismarck right next the Missouri River, this area is considered part of the flood plane of the Missouri River. Fox Island also houses a marina that is relatively new with some really nice houses. The Bismarck website has a list of press releases that concern the city of Bismarck, the website has released information about the flood and sandbagging that was happening in Bismarck. This website featured the same articles that the Bismarck tribune released during the flooding so it leads me to believe that these are the one and same articles that where release to the news organizations in Bismarck. Bismarck tribune did something that was really cool during the flooding, they had a running slid show of pictures and some videos of the flooding that was going on also the Bismarck Tribune had a page dedicated to the flooding/press releases for Bismarck/Mandan. I learned through some informal interviewing that the areas of Bismarck/Mandan that were in danger received the reverse 911 phone calls to inform the residents of Fox Islands of mandatory evacuation, this was also done for the area of Mandan but was a voluntary evacuation. I also looked up the flooding on YouTube to see what type of videos of the flood were out there, I found 147 videos dealing with flooding in Bismarck/Mandan and other areas of North Dakota. You can find the video of the demolition crew and National Guard setting off C4 on the ice jam that was backing the water up south of Bismarck/Mandan. This was really interesting looking at the videos, when I was working on the project I got side tracked looking at the videos, so if you got some time I say check out some of the videos.

3 comments:

  1. WOW, some of those demo. pics. are crazy. Some of that stuff is just nuts and cool. I mean when they wanna blow a jam, they don't hold back, they get 'r' done... I wasn't expecting such a catastrophe as this when the first sounds of a flood coming would hit so hard. But when it got so close as to home, and making us use port 'o' potties, that was it for me. Spending time at friends places for a couple days made me do some thinking that if it wasn't for all there help and support, I would be homeless... Now that's some food for thought, just what sacrifices have our friends made for us and we have made ourselves!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those videos of the ice demolition get to be very distracting. That was an excellent idea to include those in your blog as there are probably quite a few people that have not seen what goes into doing something like that. I know there were a lot of place along the river that were hit hard with the flooding south of the Bismarck and Mandan area. I know a few people that live along the river there and they had some water damage to their homes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn’t hear much about the Bismarck/Mandan flood. The only time I really heard about it was when my mom had talked to my brother and his family who live in Mandan. The ice demolition videos are kind of cool to watch and the other videos are interesting to see too. I can see how you could have got side-tracked by the videos. It is also interesting that the Bismarck Tribune had a slide show of pictures and videos.

    ReplyDelete